Monday, May 21, 2012

What we've been up to

Hope everyone had a good weekend! Our weekend started Friday afternoon because our daycare closed for half a day for parent-teacher conferences. I slept most of Saturday away (which initially sounds awesome) because my stomach hurt (see, not so awesome). The sleep really helped, so thanks again, hubby! Hubby even took our 21-mo (J) to get a haircut by themselves! Saturday night, I made avocado frosting. Sunday, my sister appreciated the fact that I made cupcakes with avocado frosting, even though they weren't as successful as I thought they'd be. Photos after the jump!

Our 21-mo (J) and I had a lovely lunch at a nearby diner after I picked him up from daycare. Afterwards, he showed Thomas the Train around town. After his nap, I decided to take him to do his favorite activity -- a walk with the stroller! I know, tantrums have certainly arisen over the stroller, but we've also had good experiences. I figured as long as the area where he was pushing the stroller was free of people, we could avoid tantrums over me trying to help him navigate the stroller. Anyways, near our house is a lake with several back-paths leading to it. One particular path is less-traveled, so I let J have the reigns. He pushed that stroller for AN HOUR. I still can't believe that an activity sustained a 21-mo old for a WHOLE HOUR.


Lucky for me, no tantrums! Not even when it was time to go home, put the stroller away, and go inside to wash his hands!!!

Like I said, on Saturday, I was sick in bed. Must have been the same 24-hr bug that took J out of daycare on Thursday. Since next week is Memorial Day, we HAD to get J's hair cut this weekend, so hubby was brave enough to go with J himself. Apparently, watching iPhone videos was not enough to keep him distracted this time, and J ended up crying the whole time! Aw! But at least the hair is out of his eyes and ears.


Later that evening, I had enough strength to make avocado frosting. The recipe was easy enough: avocados, butter, vanilla extract, salt, and powdered sugar.


The finished product on Saturday night was fluffy and buttery, with just a hint of avocado.


But when I was ready to frost cupcakes on Sunday night, the frosting was not so fluffy, was brown, and showed chunks of butter that I thought had been mixed-in properly but apparently had not. FAIL! OH well. This was truly a "it's the thought that counts" kinda gesture for my sister's birthday. I'm glad she was such a good sport, and she was touched by all of your birthday wishes!


The only I didn't get to do this weekend was get to Target to pick up these awesome Todd Oldham paint-by-numbers! But I guess that's what online shopping is for ;).


How was your weekend?

Show some love. Leave a comment below and I'll definitely respond!
-----------------------
Follow this blog!
RSS | Facebook | Twitter | Email | Bloglovin'
-----------------------
Originally posted at expandng.com - What we've been up to

12 comments:

  1. so sorry to hear about your stomach..... it was nice of your hubs to take over and watch little j while you got to sleep. hope you're feeling a lot better!

    funny how kids j's age LOVE pushing their strollers around! that pic of him pushing his stroller is so cute!

    his haircut is adorable, and i remember when adam used to cry when i used to cut his hair. he sits still now.... :)

    you and your sis are so cute! hope she had a fab birthday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ick, those 24hr bugs suck. i never experience a 24hr anything until K started daycare!

    our weekend is great so far; it's a long weekend for us Canucks but with this hot weather and our AC broken (gah!!) it's sucky at night. ah well, can't complain because it's an extra day off work for us :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. ohhh yummy never though of avocado fosting before but that sound so delish! i love avocado smoothie and pretty much everything avocado!!!

    Hope you feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bummer that you weren't feeling well. Gavin wasn't either towards the end of last week, but I think his issues were related to teething. Also, I'm disappointed that the avocado frosting turned brown ... I wonder if that's the downside to using it (you have to use it right away)??? That would be toooooo bad! But, glad your sis was appreciative of your efforts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow .. sounds like you had a full weekend .. but then again, when you have a toddler, every weekend is full!!

    Isn't it amazing how much toddlers find pushing a stroller?? T can push a stroller forever! He just loves it~ I wish he was strong enough to push me in a stroller~ that would be awesome and I would let him push wherever he wanted to go for as long as he wanted, while I take a nap in the stoller~ hahaha

    Was the pic of J before or after his haircut? cuz he still has a lot of hair in the pic~ Have you guys considered buying a set of clippers and cutting his hair yourselves?? That's what we did ... and he didn't cry at all ... Anyways, just a thought!

    So you said the frosting didn't come out as expected, but how did they taste? I love avocados and would love the wife to try and make avocado frosting ... but if it's not too tasty, maybe not~ hehehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For reals that life with a toddler is always busy! I wish I could fall asleep in the stroller for an hour! LOL. Our son hates clippers, but I guess we could ease him into it...The frosting was a bit too buttery for us. Also, I think my avocados were too ripe too. Good luck!

      Delete
  6. J is just too cute! I can't believe he was out just with your husband this weekend, and I am glad you are feeling better! I've never heard of avocado frosting but it does sound good...you put in a good effort so that's all that matters :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you are feeling better. Avocado frosting sounds yummy, but I'm not much of a baker. I figure bakeries were invented for a reason, so I better use them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh it totally sounds like I was the one whom made the avocado frosting! that type of stuff happens to me all the time. Brown. non-fluffy, oh so close but oh so wrong :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that J pushed the stroller for an hour! What great focus. Baby C can't do anything for more than 5 or 10 minutes. LOL! Sorry your avocado frosting didn't turn out as expected. I remember when I made Baby C's baby food and made banana and avocado. It browned up pretty quickly too. How did it though? This weekend we took Baby C to a little event down town. Definitely not worth the drive. But oh well. We know for next time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sorry to hear that your avocado frosting didn't hold up overnight. That's too bad. Sounds like your sister was a good sport. I would be, too. So thoughtful of you to make it.

    J looks so cute with his new hair cut. Maybe next time will be uneventful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm not much of a baker if that makes you feel any better :-) Again, he is getting so tall so fast!

    I love those paint by number kits! Have always had an admiration for Todd Oldham.

    So lovely to read about your weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment (or two). If your email address is available on your Blogger profile or blog, then we'll respond that way. If not, we'll respond right here in the comments, so be sure to subscribe to comments :).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...