Thursday, May 24, 2012

She beats blogger's block

For this last full week in May, I'm featuring 3 bloggers. Tuesday was Kristin of Mondays with Mac, who shared her tips for better blogging. Yesterday was Lou of LouLouLoves, who shared her blogging experience and secrets!! Secrets no more ;).

Today's guest post is by Jen of JenKakio. I met Jen through another blogger friend. I think Jen’s a real sweet girl and have enjoyed interacting with her on her blog and on instagram (jen808). Read on for her tips on fighting blogger’s block, which I can certainly relate to! I also think her tips are great for any type of "block" -- writers', photographers', etc.!

*Jen is a full-time college student from Hawai’i and currently blogs at JenKakio.*
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Why did you start blogging?
Aloha, I’m Jen from JenKakio. I’m a full time college student from Hawai’i, and I’ve been blogging off and on for about five years. I’m not too sure why I started blogging exactly, but I continue to do it because I love it. I love sharing my opinion and experience in life, but most of all I love meeting new people. I believe that’s the true reward from blogging, having people all over the world caring about your words. I’ve made many a friendship, which includes meeting Lisa, and now I have the wonderful opportunity to meet you.

Used with permission by Jen

What’s your advice for bloggers?
One advice that I can give any new or old blogger is how to beat blogger’s block. Some of you might know its twin, writer’s block. If you never had blogger’s block, consider yourself lucky. I’ve encountered blogger’s block many a times. It comes in waves, for months I will be on a writing high, then BOOM. I hit the wall of nothing. There is nothing more frustrating than having nothing to say.

So, what are your tips for beating blogger’s block?

1. Write a tutorial: An easy way to get that hamster wheel moving in your brain is to share how to do something. It can be anything. I love sharing recipes. For me, sharing recipes are fun and easy. A great example is Lisa’s Non-fishy salmon cakes or my no bake doggie treats. The tutorial doesn’t have to be recipes; it can be on anything -- like how to use Photoshop or how to change a car tire.

2. Go outside, take a walk, and bring your camera: Being stuck in front of a computer can sometime suck the life out of ya. Step away from the monitor, and pick up your camera. Go out, and take photos of things in your neighborhood, and share them on your blog. On one of my blogger’s block walks, I saw graffiti on a stop sign that said, “Can’t Stop Hatin’,“ and I instantly typed up a blog post about that. Don’t get down on not having a DSLR. Honestly, most of my photos are taken with my iPhone 4, and no one can tell the difference.

Used with permission by Jen

3. StumbleUpon: StumbleUpon is a wonderful website to help jog those creative juices. It’s a one-stop shop to see all these great articles and blogs. After signing up (for free) and setting your interests, StumbleUpon will show awesome content that pertains to your set interests.

4. Visit your local restaurant or landmark: I love reading about a cool restaurant or visiting a historical place. Just make sure to take a lot of photos. Lisa did a great post about Washington D.C., which reminded me of the time when I was there.

5. Find an old picture of yourself and reflect on it: Reflection is a great way to fight-off blogger’s block. Just find a photo, and write about the person you used to be, and how far you have grown. It’s a great way for your readers to get to know you more too. I don’t know about you, but I love seeing baby pictures of anyone. Here is one of my flashback photo posts.

I hope some of my tips can help you beat that blogger’s block into submission. I’ve tested these tips, and they work for me. I know they will work for you, just give it a chance.

Used with permission by Jen
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks so much for sharing your tips on beating blogger’s block, Jen! Thanks also for the several mentions of my posts. Readers, I totally didn’t put her up to doing that!!! I’m all “aw shucks” right now. Anyways, I love that she gets outside to find inspiration. I’ll definitely try that next time!

And aren't here photos fab?

Please share your thoughts on Jen's post
in the comments below!
How do you beat blogger's (or any type of) block?


And be sure to visit JenKakio!

P.S. Jen is going to be away in Amsterdam for 3 weeks (jealous!) so she may not be able to respond to your comments right away. Rest assured, she appreciates them and will respond when she returns!

Show some love. Leave a comment below and I'll definitely respond!
-----------------------
Follow this blog!
RSS | Facebook | Twitter | Email | Bloglovin'
-----------------------
Originally posted at expandng.com - She beats blogger's block

19 comments:

  1. Great post on beating bloggers block, Jen! I know I definitely get stuck in it from time to time, so will take away some of these hints :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jaina! Thanks for reading my post!!!! I have the chronic case of blogger's block all the time. I really hate it. LOL

      I hope these tips will help you one day. Let me know!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks, Eva. I hope it helps you out one day!

      Aloha from Frankfurt!

      Delete
  3. Those are some great tips for combating blogger's block. I think the only thing I'd add is if you've tried everything already and the words still aren't coming to you, then take a break. There's nothing worse than a forced post - I'd much rather a blogger take a break from writing and come back when their mind is fresh and they have new experiences or perspectives to share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great tip, Nilsa. Pumping out content when you aren't feeling 100% is just wrong. Plus, I think our readers can tell when we are just not in it to win it, sorta speak.

      I've been known to take random breaks all the time. It's nice to know that people miss you when you are gone.

      Thanks for taking the time to share your time.

      Aloha from Frankfurt

      Delete
  4. Great tips~ I totally agree with Nilsa~ Although I do not have a blog, I write all day for my job, and the best thing to do when the words aren't coming to you is to step away and take a break~ Rest your mind .. and things will come clearer to you! I personally step away and read blogs~ =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Henry, I love that idea of stepping back and reading other blogs. I've found tons of "inspirations" from other bloggers. I wished I was creative like that. LOL

      Aloha from Frankfurt!

      Delete
  5. Bloggers block, say it three times fast! That should snap your brain back into business :) If not, Jen's advice sounds good to follow to. Enjoyed the post, hope you are having a wonderful trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA. I just tried saying that and by the third time it was sounding like monger's block. LOL

      Thanks. The trip thus far has been great. I'm trying to find a flea market, so I can buy one of those old school looking camera. The hunt is on.

      Aloha from Frankfurt.

      Delete
  6. Awesome advice for blogger's block. My favorite is finding an old picture of yourself and writing about it. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mandi! It's a nice way to show a funny picture of yourself and it gives your readers an insight to who you used to be. I wish I could do it more often.

      Thanks for the kind comment!

      Aloha from Frankfurt

      Delete
  7. A lot of great ideas for getting the mind moving and the finger typing. Going outside is one that I just discovered works form, but I take my computer out and type up my blogs...that way I'm away from the TV and outside of my house...it helps me find clarity of thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea!!! I like the whole bringing your office outdoors. It must be nice to write underneath the sun and just people watch. I think I'm going to do that the next time I am stuck on writing.

      Aloha from Frankfurt!

      Delete
  8. Great tips! Will definitely put some to use!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura! I hope it helps you out one day. It's so easy to lose inspiration.

      Happy blogging!

      Aloha from Frankfurt

      Delete
  9. hi, lisa, hi, jen! great guest post. i always try to get inspirations and get the creative juices flowing from other bloggers as well. :) enjoyed reading your tips. have a lovely wknd, both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jasmine!

      Thanks for those wonderful comments. Lisa can tell you, I was quite nervous sharing this with everyone. I was worried that nobody would like me. LOL Luckily, Lisa has some great readers and commenters.

      I hope you have a wonderful weekend as well.

      Aloha from Frankfurt

      Delete
  10. Great tips Jen and I agree with Lisa, you are such a sweet girl and I'm so glad we've connected. You are always so full of life, write great dining/entertainment reviews and an honest straightforward chica.

    I love your ideas for beating bloggers' block, I can definitely add a few to my inspiration arsenal.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment (or two). If your email address is available on your Blogger profile or blog, then we'll respond that way. If not, we'll respond right here in the comments, so be sure to subscribe to comments :).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...