Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Success at the aquarium

Thanks to everyone whom I tagged and responded! I can't wait to share some of their responses with everyone :).

Earlier this month, we went to the National Aquarium in Baltimore. I remember going here as a kid. I went with my family. I went with my 5th grade class because we were doing a whole series on some book we were reading about the sea. Here's a picture -- I was a big kid, with thick bangs.


Anyways, this would be our 21-mo's (J) first time to the aquarium. We set the bar pretty low for this visit considering our tan-traumatic experience first time at the zoo. We packed juice. We packed snacks. We may have even packed a toy. We ordered tickets online -- no waiting in a long line. We decided if J wanted to stare at one exhibit the entire afternoon, so be it. We decided NOT to bring the stroller (the hubby likes to point out the irony that after months of ME talking about how AWESOME it'd be to have a lightweight stroller, that, now we CAN'T use it because it's the source of many-a tantrum).

You know what, when you set your bar low, you are never disappointed! Haha. We had an AWESOME time! I think I was more amazed at the exhibits than J! I was like, "DID YOU SEE THE SIZE OF THAT TURTLE!" "DID YOU SEE THE SIZE OF THAT FISH?" "DID YOU SEE THE SIZE OF THAT SHARK!" "THIS IS SO COOL". All J wanted to do was run up and down the ramp a thousand times. Luckily, we both kept our cool. The hubby successfully wrangled him and swiftly transported him to the next activity, tantrum-free.

Here are the (insert sarcasm) awesome photos you can take in a low-lit aquarium, where you shouldn't use a flash because it'd just bounce of the glass, while trying to keep an eye on a toddler, in a low-lit aquarium, full of people.

Aquarium
Canon T1i | Manual | 50mm | ISO 3200 | f/2.5 | 1/320 sec
Photo note: ISO turned all the way UP. That's J leaning against the glass.

Fishy fish fishy
Canon T1i | Manual | 50mm | ISO 3200 | f/2.5 | 1/320 sec
Photo note: Even at a high shutter speed, photo is still blurry. Who's seen Deuce Bigalow?

Below is my favorite shot of an animal inside the aquarium. It's foggy because of the glass.

Puffins
Canon T1i | Manual | 50mm | ISO 3200 | f/2.2 | 1/320 sec

The photo below (taken by hubby) woulda been more awesome if a dolphin woulda swam by. J scratches his head, "Where are the dolphins?"

Where are the dolphins?
Canon T1i | Manual | 50mm | ISO 400 | f/2.2 | 1/160 sec

I'm sporting the camera backpack below in this review! I love it!

Interactive
Canon T1i | Manual | 50mm | ISO 3200 | f/2.2 | 1/60 sec

The jellyfish exhibit was AWESOME! There were so many kinds, even ones that exist "upside down". To themselves, they are right-side up ;). No photo of these adorable ones, but here's a spotted one!

Jellyfish
Canon T1i | Manual | 50mm | ISO 400 | f/2.2 | 1/160 sec

Maybe if I had a tripod, glass cleaner, and no toddler, I coulda got some better shots. But no worries because the main point about going was for J, and we think he had an awesome time! It's OK to not always get the shot because memories are forever. Susan at A Juggling Mom agrees.

When's the last time you felt like a kid?

Show some love. Leave a comment below and I'll definitely respond!
-----------------------
Follow this blog!
RSS | Facebook | Twitter | Email | Bloglovin'
-----------------------
Originally posted at expandng.com - Success at the aquarium

11 comments:

  1. Wait, are you really the kid sitting on the ground in front of everyone else in the picture?...?! I find this hard to believe -- that just doesn't look like you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your shots are great! And glad you had a great time! Low light indoor shots are tough. It's best to shoot in RAW for that, as I have just learned (and will be putting to use in two weeks at my daughter's dance recital.)

    Still, I'm glad the day exceeded your expectations, even if you set them low. It's fun to be a kid again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you had a great time at the aquarium! I too was a chubby kid. :) I pretty much feel like a kid most of the day with Baby C.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pictures~ Wow .. I can't believe you can remember going to the same acquarium in the fifth grade, much less have a picture of it~ I can't even remember anything that happened in high school, or college!! hahaha ..

    I have to agree with the hubby! Strollers are expensive~ I was conned/coerced into buying this car seat stroller combo because the stroller was perfect .. had a cup holder, plenty of room for the bags etc ... so I agreed and we bought it, and after a couple of uses, she complains that it was too heavy and big to haul around, so we went shopping for an umbrella stroller~ I found an awesome babies r us one for $14, and she found a Maclaren stroller "ON SALE" for $150+!! Well, you know which one we bought .. which now sits in the back of her trunk, collecting dust because T doesn't like being pushed around .. he wants to walk by himself!! hahahaha

    Okay .. enough venting this morning~ Glad to hear your acquarium trip with J was such a success~!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I remember, but only because I have photos, otherwise, it's a blank ;). Yea, we got ours on sale for $100 too ;). Too bad about yours in the trunk but at least the little guy likes walking! Feel free to vent anytime!

      Delete
  5. I think the last time I felt like a kid was when I went to great america! So glad the trip to the aquarium was a huge success and that J enjoyed it! The photos look fantastic too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hahaha, so true. i do that to my kids... "set the bar low" and "hype the kids up" so they don't get disappointed. i love that pic of you as a kid and the one of you holding little j. my kids love going to the acquarium. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks like u guys had a great time, I can wait until K is a bit older so we can go to one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how you related this trip to the aquarium to your own memories as a kid. I also love the photos of you and J ... not often we get to see the two of you together!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a sweet outing and memory for you! Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a comment, I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so glad you had a fun day and I love your photos and your husband got two great shots, you look so sweet with your little one :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment (or two). If your email address is available on your Blogger profile or blog, then we'll respond that way. If not, we'll respond right here in the comments, so be sure to subscribe to comments :).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...