Tuesday, May 15, 2012

She blogs

This week, I'm featuring bloggers and their blogging experiences. I've got bloggers who've been blogging for years, and some who've just started. Whether you blog or are thinking about starting a blog, hope you enjoy their stories and share your thoughts in the comments!

Today’s guest post is from Nilsa of SoMi Speaks. She’s been blogging since 2007 (whoa!). I call her a veteran blogger, and you’ll see why below. Her post has headings (*wink*)! Read why she calls herself a “life blogger”, why she doesn’t blog anonymously (not that there’s anything wrong with that!), how her blog and “real life” intersect, and her “lessons learned”.

SoMi Speaks
* Nilsa is a working-mom to a beautiful 18-month old named Gavin and currently blogs at SoMi Speaks.*
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey there to all of Lisa's readers! I'm so flattered that Lisa asked me to guest post for her. My name is Nilsa and I'm the gal who runs the blog SoMi Speaks. My blog is a little of this, a little of that - so, I consider myself a life blogger, because I don't really focus on one subject in particular. Lisa asked me to write about my last five years as a blogger. I've learned a ton about blogging along the way, so let's get to it!

Living the High Life
The beautiful thing about blogging is we can define ourselves to be whatever we want to be. A lot of us (myself included) consider ourselves life bloggers, because our blogs continue to evolve as our lives and priorities change.

The upside of being a life blogger is you can really write about whatever you want. The downside is that your readership will change as your focus changes. Sure, I have a solid group of core readers, but the people who used to read my blog when I was planning a wedding are very different than the people who read it now that we have a young child.

Beyond life bloggers, there are political bloggers and mommy bloggers and bloggers that review products and social issue bloggers and artist bloggers who share their creations and and and … the list goes on. If you have a passion, you can turn it into a blog! The upside of being very focused with your blog is you know your readership will likely be interested in whatever you’re writing about in a particular post, because your blog is much more narrowly focused than a life blog. The downside is you might wind up with a more limited readership if your focus is a special niche.

How do you define your approach to blogging?

To Be or Not To Be ... Known
From the start, I decided to be a known blogger (because, quite frankly, I didn’t even realize I could do it anonymously). I figured people in my life would know about my blog, which means I write assuming everyone is reading it (regardless of whether they are or not). I might not tell anyone at work that I’m a blogger, but if anyone at work finds my blog, there’s nothing on it I wouldn’t want them to read.

Anonymous bloggers have the luxury of being able to more freely vent about husbands, jobs, crap that happens in life. Anonymous blogging scares me, to be honest. The internet has a funny way of exposing that which wants to remain hidden. I always worry about the day anonymous bloggers are discovered by the exact people from whom they’re trying to hide (ever heard of Dooce – if not, google her). 

What level of anonymity is your blog and do you have concerns about friends, family or co-workers discovering your blog?

Writer's Blocking Relationships
A few personal experiences have contributed to my approach to blogging. Many years ago, I decided to write about a friend’s story. It was a situation in which I wasn’t involved, but wrote about it anyway. My friend happened to read the blog and knew I was writing about her (even though I didn’t use her name). She was upset and really hurt that I told her story. It had a lasting effect on our friendship (which, by now, has thankfully healed). From that experience, I learned to tell my own story.

Years later, while telling my own story, I inadvertently offended someone I knew outside of my blog. In this case, I reviewed my writing and decided I was still okay with what I wrote and how I wrote about it. I tried to explain the misinterpretation directly to that person, but didn’t feel I needed to change the way I write. This experience was a time when I had to explain to someone that they have a choice about reading my blog and if they don’t like what they read, they should consider not reading it anymore.

How do you approach writing on your blog – do you include real life people, hide them behind nicknames or not speak about them at all? Would you be willing to stand up to your writing if anyone approached you to take it down?

Approaching the Fork in the Road
It’s taken a lot of trial and error to find a blogging approach that works for me. I’m a life blogger who blogs under my own name and who tries to focus on telling my own stories. But, it’s not only about me. I also try to be mindful of my loyal readers as well as new ones. I write understanding there is always another side. I try not to be overly judgmental. In fact, I am often considerate of, if not downright open, to the opposing view. I maintain an open door policy, welcoming people with varying viewpoints. The only thing I ask is that everyone respects everyone else. There can be debate, but it doesn't have to get personal.

Does your writing approach welcome all readers or do you think some of your writing could be offensive or even intimidating to others?

Lessons Learned
Five years of blogging. Five years of idea generation. Five years of uploading photos. Five years of reading and participating in other blogs. The blogging community is a pretty amazing place. And some of the things I’ve learned include …
  1. Don't take things personally. When you write in a public forum, you open yourself up to criticism. Sometimes that criticism will come in the form of comments. Other times the criticism will come in the form of lost readers. And sometimes, it’s not criticism at all, but readers (for their own reasons) who move on. The key is not to take any of it personally.
  2. Take out what you put in. The more time you devote to blogging, the more hits your blog will get. It's that simple. Read other people's blogs. Comment on them. Relate to them in your comments. Write content that relates to other people (and isn't just about yourself). It's all about a conversation. And, the more you're out there talking, the more people will become interested in listening to what you have to say.
  3. Make it interactive. Encourage your readers to comment by asking questions throughout or at the end of your blog posts. Respond to their comments via email or through the commenting system on your blog. Link to other blog posts and articles that move you. Blogging becomes downright interesting when you begin to form relationships with the people reading your blog.
  4. Blog with intent. That means, write blog posts when you have something to say, not because you think you need to fill space on a particular day. Stay true to yourself in your writings, meaning write from the heart (rather than from the hope of increasing your readership). It’s the sincere bloggers who reap the most benefits from this amazing community.
  5. Have fun. Seriously, seems so simple, but it's true. If you’re not having fun, it shows. So, take a break and come back to when it feels right. Otherwise, enjoy this crazy, whacky, amazing community of bloggers!
So, there you have it. Five years of blogging squished into one sort of long blog post. (Thank you for reading!) The blogging community is a really amazing place. What lessons have you learned in your own blogging experiences?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wow, I learned so much about Nilsa and about the drawbacks (sometimes) and benefits of blogging! As a summary, here are Nilsa’s questions for you:
  • How do you define your approach to blogging?
  • What level of anonymity is your blog and do you have concerns about friends, family or co-workers discovering your blog?
  • How do you approach writing on your blog – do you include real life people, hide them behind nicknames or not speak about them at all? Would you be willing to stand up to your writing if anyone approached you to take it down?
  • Does your writing approach welcome all readers or do you think some of your writing could be offensive or even intimidating to others?
  • What lessons have you learned in your own blogging experiences?
Please share your thoughts on Nilsa’s post
in the comments below!


And be sure to visit SoMi Speaks!

Show some love. Leave a comment below and I'll definitely respond!
-----------------------
Follow this blog!
RSS | Facebook | Twitter | Email | Bloglovin'
-----------------------
Originally posted at expandng.com - She blogs

25 comments:

  1. love this post! my answers:

    How do you define your approach to blogging? i blog about anything and nothing. really, i blog about random drivel most of the time :)

    What level of anonymity is your blog and do you have concerns about friends, family or co-workers discovering your blog? my only concern are coworkers finding my blog; this is why i NEVER accept facebook or twitter requests from co-workers. when i blog about work, i blog about my own frustrations, not my frustrations with coworkers.

    How do you approach writing on your blog – do you include real life people, hide them behind nicknames or not speak about them at all? Would you be willing to stand up to your writing if anyone approached you to take it down? i always tell my own stories and use abbreviations most of the time. if i want to protect someone's name, i'll mention that person as "my friend".

    Does your writing approach welcome all readers or do you think some of your writing could be offensive or even intimidating to others? to be honest, i write exactly what is in my head which obviously shows since i tend to drop F-bombs quite a bit or use other colourful words to describe my thoughts. it's not for everyone and i don't mean to offend but this is my writing style.

    What lessons have you learned in your own blogging experiences? that you have to have blog etiquette! when someone is nice enough to spend time reading your blog and leave comments, return the favor!! not only will you find fantastic blogs to read on a regular basis but you can also form great connections with people in the blogosphere.

    thanks, Nilsa, for a great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading the whole thing, Kathy - so impressed! You know what's funny about writing what you think? I usually do, too, but apparently I do have a filter switch, because very few of my real life f-bombs (of which there are plenty) make it into my blog! =)

      Delete
  2. Great post! My approach to blogging, being a newbie, is to write about what is affecting me that day, whether it's my kids, my animals, my husband, cool places I go, neat craft I've found or great recipe I've discovered. Right now I'm just enjoying what I'm doing and letting my blog evolve. And as Nilsa mentioned, it will change over time as my life experiences change. Right now I have young children, but I'm sure in a few years I'll be posting about my crazy teenagers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kind of dread the "crazy teenagers" and what posts will come of them. Though, I also think about whether I'll blog about them at all at that point. I like to think at some point, my son will have a say as to whether he wants me to blog about him anymore.

      Delete
  3. Oh yay, Lisa. Thanks so much for asking me to participate. I'm looking forward to what your readers have to say!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. lisa, you brought in a fabulous blogger for your guest blogger. yes, she is a veteran, for sure! the "veteran" bloggers i've met at the conference were 3-4 "years old," but seven... that's worthy of a "whoa!" comment. :) nilsa, you're so knowledgeable, and your lessons learned, i have to agree with you wholeheartedly. those are some of the things i tell myself. the key is definitely having fun while blogging, which i do, and interaction is really important. love the way you write, nilsa! you're smart and i really enjoyed your writing style.
    here's my answers:
    How do you define your approach to blogging?
    my approach is expressing myself. it's therapeutic for me to write about what i like, so expressing myself on a blog is my approach. :)
    What level of anonymity is your blog and do you have concerns about friends, family or co-workers discovering your blog?
    i may have concerns if i were working right now... but since i'm a SAHM, i don't really have concerns. i wondered in the beginning if i should stay somewhat anonymous, but then i realized it would be hard for me to express myself to the fullest, the way i want to. people know my name, my kids' names...etc., but one thing i don't want people to know is where i live, lol! :D
    How do you approach writing on your blog – do you include real life people, hide them behind nicknames or not speak about them at all? Would you be willing to stand up to your writing if anyone approached you to take it down?
    if i involve a person on my blog (non-bloggers), i always ask if they're okay with it first.
    Does your writing approach welcome all readers or do you think some of your writing could be offensive or even intimidating to others?
    i studied journalism in college, but i really don't enjoy reporting style on a blog, because it doesn't seem as personal. i would like to get my readers to know me on a more personal level and be able to relate with me and my style (and being a mother).... so i try to keep it very friendly, and witty at times. :D
    What lessons have you learned in your own blogging experiences?
    similar to nilsas.... don't take things personally... and have fun. having fun while blogging is what keeps me going, and since i love meeting new people and interacting with people, blogging is right up my alley--w/o interaction, i don't think my blog would get as much visitors...

    thanks for a great guest post! i'll check out nilsa's blog after i put the kids to bed tonight. :)

    hugs, lisa, and thank you, nilsa!
    jas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jas, if only my everyday writing could encourage comments like yours! Thanks for spending just as much time answering the questions as I put into writing! =) And, I love it - you're a journalism major who protests capital letters. ha!

      Delete
    2. you're very welcome, but i was just speaking my mind. haha, i think i'm a lazoid. i type fast, and i always find using the shift key annoying. :D but i do use them when i absolutely have to. :D

      Delete
  5. (omg... did i just write a novel on your comments section?) hehehe.

    btw, i noticed you got rid of DISQUS. is there a reason for that? :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your experience about someone who got offended reading a blog post of yours reminds me of a time I posted something on Facebook. Someone close to me was offended, even though it had nothing to do with them. Sometimes I feel like people make things about them for the attention or to find a way to be mad at someone (in my case anyway). Thanks for sharing today! I'm on my way over to check out your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES YES YES, MommyMandi - some people really are unable to look at the world outside of themselves. I couldn't agree more!

      Delete
  7. Oh, Nilsa, I learned somethings the hard way too and I love your blog for being so open, we do differ there. In real life I am better at the 'playing both sides of the fence' but on my blog is where I lay it all out and it does get me in trouble, so to speak but I don't mind anyone disagreeing with me, respectfully, in the comment section, I love hearing the other side of the fence, at times it has made me stop and think about my own thoughts! I even follow blogs that are very different in their thoughts than me, to make sure I get a different viewpoint. If I surround myself with only like thinkers,well, life gets boring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So long as you're upfront about what your blog is to you (a place to vent!) and don't mind when people disagree, then more power to you to write about the tough stuff! =)

      Delete
  8. Lisa and Nilsa,

    I appreciate this post! It has given me a lot to think about. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've gotten someone to think? Mission accomplished! Thanks for reading, Eva.

      Delete
  9. I am definitely going to check out her blog! 5 years is a long time to be blogging and Nilsa really provided some excellent insight! I look forward to the next blogger you'll introduce us to!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing an experienced blogger! Will check out her blog! Hope you are having a wonderful day!
    -Jyoti
    Style-Delights Blog

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really enjoyed this perspective. I've had my blog for a while, but have only dedicated myself to regular posting since the start of this year. (Crazy how much time it can eat up.) So even though I've "blogged" for over a couple years, I'm very much a newbie when it comes to taking it up to the next level. I've found that more frequent posting has loosened up my voice & style...I used to always sound very stiff and "essay"-ish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point, Kelly! You're absolutely right that you get into a rhythm when you blog on a more regular basis. I also find that it's not such a daunting task - you don't have to write about everything on your mind, knowing there's always tomorrow!

      Delete
  12. Great post!

    How do you define your approach to blogging?
    I guess I'm a mommy blogger. Or a mom who blogs. Mostly about being a mom.

    What level of anonymity is your blog and do you have concerns about friends, family or co-workers discovering your blog?
    I'm an open book. I've never been a private person and it doesn't bother me to have my life out there for public consumption. But I try to remember that not everyone agrees and always ask before writing about somebody else. Although I'm like a vampire in that once you invite me in I never have to ask again!

    How do you approach writing on your blog – do you include real life people, hide them behind nicknames or not speak about them at all? Would you be willing to stand up to your writing if anyone approached you to take it down?
    Like you, I write as if everyone is reading so I wouldn't write anything that would hurt somebody I love. At this point I haven't written anything that I would take down if asked.

    Does your writing approach welcome all readers or do you think some of your writing could be offensive or even intimidating to others?
    I can't imagine it's offensive. Although I did have one friend tell me that something I said made her feel isolated (because my parenting style differed from hers). But I try to always be clear that I parent based on what is in the deepest part of my heart. My heart and your heart are not the same. Which means that your parenting style doesn't have to be the same as mine for us to both be parenting from our hearts.

    What lessons have you learned in your own blogging experiences?
    Blogging really puts you out there. It can be a humbling and exhilarating experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your last statement sums up blogging to me, too - what a humbling and exhilarating experience it's been!

      Delete
  13. Thanks for a great post! Still working on how I define my blogging style :) loved the 5 things your learned from blogging. As a new blogger, it blogged me to bits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been blogging for five years and I'm still defining my blogging style, too. I mean, sure I have something that works for me right now. But, the minute something changes in my life, how I approach blogging changes, too. That's the beauty of having your own blog - you can define it in whatever way you want over and over and over again!

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment (or two). If your email address is available on your Blogger profile or blog, then we'll respond that way. If not, we'll respond right here in the comments, so be sure to subscribe to comments :).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...