Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Encouragement

I began taking photography a bit more seriously beginning this year. That means:
  • I read my camera's manual -- How do I change the ISO, f-stop, and shutter speed? What do all the different shooting modes do?
  • I googled and asked my photography friends and brother-in-law about the relationship between ISO, f-stop, and shutter speed.
  • I started compiling a list of photography terms that I came across while reading about photography. See that list here.
  • I took a closer look at the photos of my favorite photographers -- What draws me to their photos? What features of their photos define their style?
  • I asked myself, "What is my style of photography?" 
  • I set a goal to take a photo a day.
  • I asked myself, "What is my goal in pursuing an interest in photography?" 
After doing these things, I felt a bit more confident using my camera, felt more comfortable talking to people about photography, and had a better idea what to expect of myself. I knew that since I wasn't intending to go pro, it was ok if my photos didn't look like the ones online. They are "pro" for a reason! It made me feel better about the photos I was able to take.

Of course, I wasn't always comfortable in my own "photographer's skin", so to speak. At the beginning of the year, I took photos like the ones below (these are my least favorites) (they're watermarked with a site that I no longer blog at):

Bad lighting copyright by Lisa C. Ng Ominous puppy copyright by Lisa C. Ng
Lighting is terrible in the shot of our son, and 
what's up with the ominous feel of the puppy sleeping at the hubby's feet?

Blurred phone conversation copyright by Lisa C. Ng Major crop copyright by Lisa C. Ng
This is a cute shot of our son, but it's not tack-sharp. 
The orchid is also not tack-sharp due to major photo-cropping 
-- a lesson learned in composition.

I was rather discouraged at the time. Why aren't my photos like the ones I see online? Why aren't they "tack sharp", as photographers like to say? Why don't they "pop"?

In the second week of January, I read a syndicated article on BlogHer, My Take on Food Styling and Photography by Xiaolu of 6 Bittersweets. You must go to the BlogHer article to see how her photos transformed from snapshots to editorial-worthy in just two years!

I felt encouraged and inspired by Xiaolu's article because she reminded me that great photography takes time, work, research, and trial-and-error. No one's going to be handed a camera and become the next Ansel Adams overnight. Two years might seem like a long time in this instant-gratification-society, but two years is nothing compared to the many many subsequent years I'd have enjoying photography instead of fretting over it! It's only been four months since I really picked up my camera, and I already enjoy it so much more than I did in Janurary. Here are my recent favorites:

Resting copyright by Lisa C. Ng Untitled copyright by Lisa C. Ng
Ceiling copyright by Lisa C. Ng Morning dandelion copyright by Lisa C. Ng
I see you! copyright by Lisa C. Ng 

Certainly, I have OODLES more to learn! I haven't found my style yet, but just like writing, it will take time and will develop as I shoot more. I haven't even begun to understand and "see" light. And I am constantly working on seeing the photo before picking up the camera to shoot anything. 

So this post is my encouragement to everyone who has a "big girl/big boy" camera but is discouraged to use it or discouraged when using it. Remember the cliché, Rome wasn't built in a day. And finally, remember to have fun shooting! 

What steps do you take to improve a skill in your life, 
photography or otherwise?

Show some love. Leave a comment below and I'll definitely respond!
-----------------------
 Follow this blog!
RSS | Facebook | Twitter | Email
-----------------------

Originally posted at expandng.com - Encouragement

10 comments:

  1. practice practice practice!!! i also took a few local workshops/classes as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great article, Lisa! It's funny you write about this topic now. I've been thinking about my photography lately. One of the first things I want to do with this mama's group I'm starting is to bring in a local photographer to do a workshop on photographing children. I've also been reading some photography blogs and one of the photographers offers classes. I think I'm going to buy one of her DVDs to decide whether I'd actually like to take the online, 4-week class. Stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a great post. I actually love all the photos that you took in black and white, even the one that you don't like anymore. But the last one of your son by the window is my fave! You are definitely becoming a better photographer. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your improvement is tack sharp! It's really obvious especially when you point out things about them. It's nice that you found such a fun thing to do, you are totally improving!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have improved heaps!!!! :) Great last picture of J, too! SO cute :) btw, what prog do you use to 'collage'??

    ReplyDelete
  6. That photo of your son popping through the curtains is still my favorite! I love learning! I guess that's why I became a teacher. :) Learning from others who are willing to share is how I learn. Great job on your pictures, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very great questions to ask yourself! I think people forget to read the owner's manual. Maybe I'm a dork, but I always read the owner's manual. LOL I don't know why, I figure it's important enough to write, so might as well read it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. what an encouragement, indeed! i was really excited about getting my camera, and when i couldn't figure it out, i started getting discouraged. yes, i have plenty of those ominous and blurry shots... however, i always tell myself that there's always light at the end of the tunnel, and one of my dad's fave quotes my ernest hemingway--"unceasing effort is the price of success." i have to keep trying.... you are already great in my eyes! i want to try to take a photo a day, too. that's a good start. :)

    have a great day, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post! I'm bookmarking it. I read the BlogHer post and yeah her progress was amazing. I love that you are always willing to share what you've learned. A cute little boy is a great reason to keep working at it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad you found my article useful and thanks for your kind words about my progress. You've already made wonderful progress and I can't see all the fun you're gonna have with your camera in the future. Lovely post <3 Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment (or two). If your email address is available on your Blogger profile or blog, then we'll respond that way. If not, we'll respond right here in the comments, so be sure to subscribe to comments :).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...