Monday, May 14, 2012

What we've been up to

Hope everyone had a great weekend! It was 80F both days, so we were able to play outside, which is my favorite way to pass the time with our 21-mo (J) on the weekends. Here's a post updating y'all on what we've been up to in the Ng clan.

Last week, the hubby and I celebrated our 4-year wedding anniversary. Since we are boring (wink), we like to follow the "traditional" anniversary gifts. Otherwise, we might not do anything, and we like to do something. Here are the ones we've celebrated so far:
  1. Paper: we got a single share of a stock
  2. Cotton: we are planning to get a blanket made
  3. Leather: no ideas yet!
  4. Linen, silk: Sorry hubby, I coulda swore I read "flowers" on a list somewhere, but apparently, that's a U.K. tradition. Oh well, you did grow up in Hong Kong when it was still under British rule, so….
The hubby was so sweet to send me flowers at work and make a reservation at VOLT, a top chef-owned (Bryan Voltaggio) restaurant just north of where we live. We've never visited Manayunk and Old City. I'm interested in attending the arts festival advertised in the poster shown below.

VOLT is housed in a beautiful mansion. The interior is modern, with white leather booth seating, and isn't so dark you need a flashlight to read the menu. Dinner is either a 7-course or a 4-course prix fixe selection. Since the difference was only $15, we decided to order the 7-course Kitchen (or protein) menu AND the 7-course Vegetable menu. Sorry, Lou Lou Loves, we didn't try your picks! We weren't allowed to order one 4- and one 7-course menu, which is a shame since probably be just the right amount of food. After sharing amuse bouche, 14 courses, and a complimentary selection of desserts (including a buttered popcorn macaroon!), we were definitely full…and sleepy :).

The photo below shows 3 Kitchen items and 1 Vegetable item. Of these items, my favorite was the goat cheese ravioli with oyster mushrooms. The hubby's favorite was the duck egg with English pea and shitake mushrooms.


The photo below shows Jerusalem artichokes, which I'd never heard of, a parsnip cake with caramel crumble and cream cheese snow, and complimentary to-take-home coffee cake, which I haven't even eaten yet!


Both the hubby and I LOVE meat and seafood, so you'd think our favorite was the Kitchen (protein) menu. HOWEVER, we found the most SURPRISES in the Vegetable menu. The depth of flavor in the mushrooms, beet sherbet (could I make that?!), fried cauliflower, savory steel cut oats, and parsnip cake and ice cream?! It was AMAZING!

Our evening at VOLT would have been even more amazing if Bryan were there and was willing to have his picture taken with us. Also, I think we had at least three different people present food to us. I'd prefer only one server, which makes the experience more personal IMHO. Nevertheless, we'd definitely go AGAIN...

Unfortunately, we arrived home to find that Jasper, our 8-month puppy, had destroyed 3 wooden blocks. Oh, puppy!


The following day, our son's daycare surprised us mommies with a card and photo. I love the handprints, and that grin is HUGE! The teachers love to slick his hair for photos.


It's so much fun that our son mimicked my tongue sticking out in the photo below.


I mentioned this before, but after using several collage apps, here's my breakdown of the features:
  • Pic Collage: allows you to freely rotate and arrange photos in the collage. However, you can't set the ratio of the collage.
  • Collage: also allows you to freely rotate and arrange photos in the collage. The ratio of the collage can be set. There are also other features like enhancing the photo, drawing on the photo, adding text, and even removing blemishes.
  • Frametastic: there are 18 free set-layouts, all in square ratio.
  • *Collage*: there are 16 set-layouts, in 1:1, 4:3, 3:4, and 3:2 ratio. You can change the size of photos each layout. I've been using this one the most often.
I also used the app, Captions, to add text to the photos above.


Show some love. Leave a comment below and I'll definitely respond!
-----------------------
Follow this blog!
RSS | Facebook | Twitter | Email | Bloglovin'
-----------------------
Originally posted at expandng.com - What we've been up to

10 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary! The food looks incredible! And those darn puppies love to chew for sure. Some even love to chew when they are older - cannot leave a crayon laying around this house or the dogs teeth will be colored.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a really special anniversary celebration! I appreciate your review of collage apps. I've been looking for a good collage website since I'm probably the only person left on earth who doesn't use a smart phone. Any ideas? Unfortunately PicMonkey, my old favorite, doesn't do collages just yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved watching Bryan Voltaggio and his brother when they were on Top Chef. So cool that you got to eat at Volt and have such a fun time. Funny enough, in a couple weeks, we have reservations at Girl and the Goat, another Top Chef restaurant (Stephanie Izard). Hope it's just as good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love, love getting a preview on instagram. these photos are just delightful, and the food looks amazing. :)

    so awesome that you guys follow the gift-giving tradition. :) thanks for sharing what apps you use for your photos. i have to try one of those collage apps. :)

    have a great wk!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the Mother's Day Card. So sweet! I found another pic ap called frame magic. I haven't tried it yet, but I thought I would share with ya.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Anniversary! Daddy P & I are celebrating our 5-year this year!!! That dinner sounds pretty yummy!!! :) 7 courses. WOW! Now I'm hungry again... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Anniversary Lisa! My all time top chef crush was in fact on Bryan!!! OMG he is SOOOO good looking and I was so sad he lost to his brother Michael who I wasn't totally a fan of! Amazing photos as always and it wounds like it was an amazing dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww such sweet photos. Happy belated Anniversary and Mother's Day!

    Ai @ Sakura Haruka

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so impressed, 14 courses!!! That was a great effort. Food looked great! Thanks for the collage links, I've actually just been trying to find some...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment (or two). If your email address is available on your Blogger profile or blog, then we'll respond that way. If not, we'll respond right here in the comments, so be sure to subscribe to comments :).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...