Monday, June 11, 2012

Why create a Facebook fanpage?

Hope everyone had a great weekend! Before I created a Facebook fanpage (Expandng Blog) (would love it if you "liked" it!), I provided a link from this blog to my personal Facebook page. But it wasn't working out, so here are 4 reasons I created a Facebook fanpage.


REASON #1: Anyone can "like"
Facebook began as a way to connect mostly with people you already knew, people you saw in "real life". When a "friend request" appears, you expect to recognize the name. But when I linked this blog to my personal Facebook page, I'd receive friend requests from people who read this blog, whose names I didn't necessarily recognize. So what did I do? I ignored those requests. So I started a Facebook fanpage and hopefully stopped "ignoring" any readers.

REASON #2: A different news feed
I started a Facebook fanpage so that my "real" friends could receive separate feeds for my personal updates and blog updates. Though these days, I'm hardly separated from my blog and hardly post personal updates anymore -- except to share a short rant about noisy neighbors ;).

REASON #3: More readers
I also started the Facebook fanpage because I wanted to reach a few more people. Though Facebook has recently made a change, so be sure to select "show in news feed" if you want to continue receiving updates from your favorite pages in your newsfeed.

REASON #4: Interaction with readers
Lastly, having a Facebook fanpage allows me to interact with people more instantly than through the blog. Jas from AdamAlexMommy and Kristin from Mondays with Mac utilize Facebook really well, IMHO. I'm still learning.

Lastly, here are some tips for your Facebook fanpage
The cover photo is 850×315 pixels. Read a summary of the rules for this cover photo by Lil Blue Boo.

Sign up for Statigram. It can add your Instagram feed to your fanpage, if you want it, that is.


Download the Pages app for your phone (available for both iPhone and Android to manage your pages on-the-go! Tks to Greta Funk (twitter: @gfunkified) who let me know about the Android app.

IMG_0757

What do you think about a Facebook fanpage for your blog?
Do you like interacting with bloggers on Facebook?

Show some love. Leave a comment below and I'll definitely respond!
-----------------------
Follow this blog!
RSS | Facebook | Twitter | Email | Bloglovin'
-----------------------
Originally posted at expandng.com - Why create a Facebook fanpage?

14 comments:

  1. I made a page but haven't done anything with it. I don't really know what I'm supposed to be doing with it, so at the moment, just hoping the blog and twitter will suffice :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have a page on facebook but in reality, i hate facebook :\. i find it so intrusive, the privacy issues annoy me and they're always updating their UI that it drives me nuts. also, there's just so much damn information on that thing it can be overwhelming. i don't really use it much other than post updates for my blog. since i know the majority of my friends use facebook, i see that as a vehicle to pimp my blog; that's about it.

    if facebook just simplified everything - got rid of all that bullshit on the right nav panel, got rid of all those stupid apps and invites and notifications and all that crap, i would maybe consider going back. this is why i love twitter instead; if you can't say what you gotta say in 140 characters or less, then it weeds those long-winded people out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i absolutely love the interaction part with my readers. "community" is important to me, and that is the reason why i established my facebook account for my blog. i also see that a lot of my readers click and come to my blog via facebook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the mention. i really appreciate that you think that way. :)

      Delete
  4. At one point I was considering making a page for my blog, but thought against it. I have a hard enough time keeping up with my own personal twitter and facebook accounts, as well as G+. Don't have time to try and keep up with another!

    I am tempted to set up a G+ page for it though. I know they're good for SEO and I'm all google-d up anyway. Seems like a better move. I'm barely on Facebook these days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you know that PicMonkey's new collage feature has a setting for making FB cover photo collages? I made one (for my personal FB page) in about 2 minutes and didn't have to worry about everything fitting just right in the cover photo. Thought that might interest you. :) Hope your week is off to a great start!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, and you're welcome! I love that I don't have to annoy RL friends with blog updates on my personal page all the time, and I can say things on my fanpage that I don't necessarily want all of them to see. ;) I'm still trying to figure out how to grow my numbers, though. It's tough!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good post on FB fan pages! I follow yours and I do agree that Jasmine has a great fan page.

    I've had a fan page for a bit now and I really love it. Definitely a great social media addition.

    That whole "show in news feed" thing that FB recently implemented is so annoying. I wish they would stop changing things so frequently.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You always have such helpful information. I didn't start my fan page until about 6 months after I started blogging. But I'm glad I did now. I try to interact with those who follow, but don't always get much feedback. It's going to be much harder with the new facebook guideliens too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is the unventured territory for me. I have only 75 fb friends on my personal account, I don't really use it all that much and my blog page on fb has 486 likes. I am having a hard time growing that page, and the only time I see a spike in likes is when I do a giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I tried to set one up and got confused so somehow it became Lucy Pink because I had no clue what I was doing, this was a long time ago and now, I am still confused LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. I doubt you'll be surprised that I think Facebook pages are really redundant. I *think* (could be wrong) that bloggers who consistently read blogs keep track of other bloggers through RSS feeds. As someone who uses an RSS feed, fan pages feel very redundant to me. I wind up feeling overly stimulated when I see blog stuff on FB ... just as I'd feel equally crazy if I started seeing status updates on my RSS feed. ha!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great information! I like the idea of a FB fan page but just can't go there yet. I think I will start with twitter first...one of these days.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment (or two). If your email address is available on your Blogger profile or blog, then we'll respond that way. If not, we'll respond right here in the comments, so be sure to subscribe to comments :).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...