Friday, June 8, 2012

Cutting onions

Is it me, or do many "western" recipes call for onions? It's like the scallion, used in a lot of "eastern" recipes, of the west.


For one recipe, I had to dice an onion. For another recipe, it said to mince an onion. And I was like, what's the difference between dicing and mincing? After a Google search, it turns out that mincing is just a finer/smaller version of dicing. And chopping is the biggest cut of the three.


At least I didn't have to Google slicing an onion ;).


I don't know about you, but I cry a lot when I cut onions. Like, need to fix my mascara/eyeliner type of cry. Here's some tips that might help, though I tend to just fight through the tears.

Do you cry like a baby when cutting onions too?
Parts of today's post were taken from the archives.
Have a great weekend!

Show some love. Leave a comment below and I'll definitely respond!
-----------------------
Follow this blog!
RSS | Facebook | Twitter | Email | Bloglovin'
-----------------------
Originally posted at expandng.com - Cutting onions

10 comments:

  1. I'm terrible about cutting onions. I've heard of chilling them in cold water, but chewing gum? That's a new one for me. I've also heard about cutting next to a gas-fired stove (with it on). Weird, I know. I, though, have a totally different strategy, but you'll have to go see for yourself (http://somispeaks.com/2010/03/23/shuffle-2/).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know about the chewing gum tip. Good thing for me that I don't cook, so I never chop, dice or mince onions.

    By the way, yes, MI4 was pretty good. Read my review on it. Definitely good even though Tom Cruise stars in it, lol. And MIB3 is worth the DVD rental for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LoL .. I just use the slap chop~ Yes .. I have a slap chop!! It may look ridiculous on the commercials, but this baby works wonders!! Although, it only does minced, so when it calls for chopped, sliced, diced .. I use minced!! hahaha No fusss .. no mess ... no tears~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I hate the onion and always forget all the great tips but here is something, the onion sweetens the recipe, now isn't that interesting?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm such a bad cook that I'm always googling what certain cooking terms mean. Yes, I cry too when cutting onions. Thanks for the tips! I will try them out next time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know how to cook.... This is so bad, my Mom calls me a "Shao Jay," hahaha! I've never cut an onion.... Enjoy your wknd Lisa :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chew gum?! What? What is the explanation behind how that prevents you from crying? I'm going to have to test this one out for myself. Will report back in a few days!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a crying cutter, never heard of these tips but will try the water one...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pop the onion in the fridge for half an hour and that usually helps with the crying. I remember once I was cutting freshly picked onions and OMG - the pain!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting - I've heard of the water part but not the gum. Will have to try that sometime :)

    Re: about me page. I'm bad at writing about myself because I never really know what to say. It's similar in real life when people say, "tell me about yourself." What kinds of stuff do you want to know? Sometimes when I answer the basics, someone will inevitably say, "No, I want to know more about YOU as a person." Sorry person, I don't have a clue as to what you want there.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment (or two). If your email address is available on your Blogger profile or blog, then we'll respond that way. If not, we'll respond right here in the comments, so be sure to subscribe to comments :).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...