Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Self-portraits

I decided in May to make an effort to get in front of the camera. The hubby found an old tripod in his parents house (score!), and I bought an inexpensive remote (referral link). Before I show you the results, let me say that it was a CHALLENGE. Setting up the tripod, positioning the camera, getting anything in focus, getting the remote to work, and getting a good composition, etc. was SO HARD. For those of you who use a tripod and/or remote/timer regularly and get good shots, I seriously TIP MY HAT to you! TIP MY HAT to you!

Remote
Canon T1i | Manual | 50mm | ISO 3200 | f/3.5 | 1/125 sec

Attempt #1
I'm still trying to figure out where I'm supposed to point the remote. My son's expression is, "What's going on?"

Self 1
Canon T1i | Manual | 50mm | ISO 100 | f/3.2 | 1/200 sec | SpeedLite380EX

Attempt #2
The composition is off, but I'm pretty happy with the lighting, and delighted about our son's expression! Boy, I certainly look like a fish with that kissing face! The remote is still visible.

Self 2 - a kiss
Canon T1i | Manual | 50mm | ISO 100 | f/3.2 | 1/200 sec | SpeedLite380EX

Attempt #3
I really need to practice being more natural in front of the camera! Again, I TIP MY HAT to those who are so natural in front of the camera! I'm still holding that remote but trying to be more inconspicuous.

Why so serious?
Canon T1i | Manual | 50mm | ISO 100 | f/3.2 | 1/200 sec | SpeedLite380EX

Attempt #4
Again, I need to practice being more natural because the look in my eyes is so vacant. Nevertheless, the soft background lighting and our parallel profiles were what I was going for.

With son
Canon T1i | Manual | 50mm | ISO 800 | f/3.5 | 1/100 sec

Honestly, I'd rather just hand the camera to the hubby because by the time I'm all set up, the moment has passed and our son has moved to another location. I do not want to chasing him around with the tripod, haha!

I'd love any pointers you have for taking self-portraits!

Mentioned in this post (referral link)

Show some love. Leave a comment below and I'll definitely respond!
-----------------------
Follow this blog!
RSS | Facebook | Twitter | Email | Bloglovin'
-----------------------
Originally posted at expandng.com - Self-portraits

19 comments:

  1. glad to see you bought it!!! it's not bad for that price, I do use once in awhile if hubby is not around and if I want to be in the photo with baby K.

    cant wait to see it more photos with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i don't like taking self-portraits which is why most of the time i make silly faces or avoid the camera altogether!

    nice pics :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you take us on your journey. Oh, and I love the photos, you look like you are in deep thought with the pillow and of course J laughing with you kissing him is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I commend you for doing self portraits. They've all come out really nicely too. The last one is beautiful. The lighting really makes it pop.

    I've never had the courage to do self portraits. Mostly, I hate them! Maybe I'll give it a go. You have inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. it's always difficult taking the first "step," but i am pretty sure after awhile, you'll figure out what works for you. :) i am by means no expert, but to get a little more comfortable than how it was in the beginning took a lot of trial and error for me. i realized that i just am not a good poser.... so instead of smiling in front of the camera... i decided to "act naturally" and just snap away. i'm serious.... i am lucky if i get a few or even one that i like, after hitting my remote button numerous times. i love j's expression in the first photo. your fish face is darling! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did beautifully - esp. love #4! I've tried taking family pics with the tripod and remote - FAILED miserably! I only take blog photos this way bc I get to crop out my face :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm impressed you put yourself up to the challenge of self portraits. I've had a remote for my camera for a few years and I hate it. It feels like I have to be directly in front of the camera and pointing the remote straight at it for it to work. Totally annoying. I wonder if a timer would be better for the self-portrait shots?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the pics came out great~ Love J's expression on the first pic and the contrast with your expression!! Maybe instead of handing the hubby the camera, just hand him the clicker and let him press away!! I'm sure you're bound to get a good shot from the bunch~ and it'll free both your hands so you can act more naturally~ It's hard to be natural when you're thinking about the clicker in your hand and when you should take the picture, etc. Just a thought~ =D

    ReplyDelete
  9. The photos came out great! My photos are easier to take because I dont have rambunctious younguns to worry about like you do...it's just me posing. I set my camera to Av mode so I'm only playing with the depth of field I want for my photos and then let the camera do the rest (I play with the ISO and exposure a bit to tweak things, but never set shutter speed). Then I set my camera and remote so the shutter goes off after 2 seconds. That gives me time to hide the remote and pose the way I want before the photo is taken. Other than that, it's about practice and seeing the results and what you like and don't like about each batch of photos you take.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Attempt #2 looks pretty fab to me. Good for you for trying out the self portrait with the tripod. I'm not that great with a tripod (which is why I should probably buy that remote), so I just make the hubs take my photos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think the pics are great. I never knew you could get a remote for the camera! I just always use the self-timer and than frantically run to my position.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm like Laura B- self-timer and frantic run to pose before the flash goes off! I think the photos look great!

    Veralynn
    joiedeveralynn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I liked #2 and #4! You are totally beautiful and J is so cute. I say keep going with it, the results will be worth it....

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think you did a great job! I have trouble taking a picture with my iphone. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  15. these are so adorable! i really like the last one with the soft lighting. all of these have candid moments and don't worry - you'll get much better with the remote! i still haven't quite figured it out and my $4 remote struggles often at a distance. keep taking self pics, lisa and j !

    pandaphilia style

    ReplyDelete
  16. Selfies are hard. Kudos to you for giving it a go. One of the things I try to do is eliminate the tripod. Just try to find a safe, sturdy place to position your camera. One less thing to fuss with will encourage you to do it more often.

    That last one is awesome!!! Beautiful capture!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the kissie ear pic the best! But all are great. I know how you feel about being natural. I wish I could do non-smiling pics but my eyes look soooo vacant. Every photographer who has shot me (which I count on less than one hand) tries to convince me otherwise. Than partway through the shoot, they'll say, yeah you gotta smile.

    Love hearing about the photography adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  18. One thing you can try sweetie is to utilize the multishot function. Since the objects are moving, it's hard to capture the right moment with a remote because your finger is not at the trigger.

    You can "cheat" a little bit with multishot and pick the one that capture the right expreission/angle etc.

    -A

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great job, the photos came out nice! I've been looking to buy a remote, so thank you for the link. I know how u feel with the tripod and natural drama! LOL Thanks for stopping by, always nice to hear from u.

    xo Marie http://nyorkeratheart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment (or two). If your email address is available on your Blogger profile or blog, then we'll respond that way. If not, we'll respond right here in the comments, so be sure to subscribe to comments :).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...