Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Black & white photography

When I first started converting photographs to black & white (b/w), it was mostly an attempt to conceal background clutter or whatever mess was on my 22-mo (J) shirt (or face) at the time ;). As I read more about b/w photography, I'm learning that really great b/w photographs are more than just an action in photo editing software.

Here are two tutorials (1, 2) from Clickin Moms that involve using Photoshop or Lightroom to convert a photo to b/w. I haven't followed either set of instructions yet, but I gathered some interesting aspects of great b/w photographs from the tutorials. I'll be showing some of my b/w photos to demonstrate those aspects, not to say my photographs are perfect examples by any means.

Classic
I hope you'll agree that b/w photos are timeless. They're also reminiscent of a simpler time -- b/w films, b/w TVs...

All eyes on the subject
With just two colors, and shades in between, a b/w photo allows you to focus on the subject. Instead of distinguishing and grouping colors, your eyes take in the tones of the photo.


Canon T1i | Manual | 50mm | ISO 400 | f/2.0 | 1/80 sec
My son was already wearing white and the doors behind him were white, so I converted it to b/w to detract from the orange walls. PS I used to blog at capturng.com.

Good light and tonal quality
Speaking of tones, great b/w photos are well-exposed and have good "tonal quality", meaning not just all bright, or all dark, but both bights and darks.


Canon T1i | Manual | 50mm | ISO 1600 | f/1.8 | 1/100 sec
I converted this photo to b/w to emphasize the size of the shoes, not their colors. I probably also darkened the blacks for more contrast.

Textures
And when there's only two colors, you notice textures. This can also help to separate a subject from the background, like how I separate my subject from house clutter ;).

Jus' 'cause
And sometimes I convert to b/w jus' 'cause.


Canon T1i | Manual | 50mm | ISO 100 | f/2.5 | 1/200 sec | SpeedLite 380EX
I was interested in capturing this moment of our son trying to zip up his hoodie by himself. It's mostly dark, so sometimes you just throw out all the rules!

I'm no expert in b/w photography (or any photography, for that matter), but I do enjoy learning!

Below are a series of photos I took of our son with the hubby on the couch. I converted them to b/w because of (1) the clutter and (2) our son had lovely catchlights in his eyes. I just had to put the focus on his expression with a b/w conversion!!

With dad Getting comfy
Canon T1i | Manual | 50mm | ISO 3200 | f/3.2 | 1/80 sec
No flash used for these photos, so I had to bump up the ISO to the highest on my camera. Click on the photos to enlarge. Check out the texture, I mean, grain ;).

Huh Hmm
Canon T1i | Manual | 50mm | ISO 3200 | f/3.2 | 1/100 sec

What? Finger bite
Canon T1i | Manual | 50mm | ISO 3200 | f/3.2 | 1/100 sec

I see
Canon T1i | Manual | 50mm | ISO 3200 | f/3.2 | 1/100 sec

Final photo, I love his little feet!

Little feet
Canon T1i | Manual | 50mm | ISO 3200 | f/3.2 | 1/100 sec

Do you love b/w photography?

Show some love. Leave a comment below and I'll definitely respond!
-----------------------
Follow this blog!
RSS | Facebook | Twitter | Email | Bloglovin'
-----------------------
Originally posted at expandng.com - Black & white photography

12 comments:

  1. Love your shots. I don't own an SLR, so I can't fiddle with the setting. I'm going to start experimenting with black and white on Photoshop and see how they turn out. My favorite of the lot is the one of your shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey, you! hope you're well. i absolutely love b/w photography. something very nostalgic about it... and love framing them more than colored ones. :) i do love converting them to b/w just 'cuz, also. :) little j is lucky to have amazing photos from mom of his childhood. :)

    have a great day, my dear!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving your black and white photography.

    I'm a big fan of black and white - the whole monochromatic feel. For me, it's the contrast I love. You can create some massively contrast-y (yes, that's a word!) images. The black and white just gives it more depth and sometimes, life to it.

    I did a whole 30 day photography project with taking 1 B&W shot a day. Learnt a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I am a total fan of b/w photography. It's crazy how it lacks color, yet always seems to stand out so much. I love the photo of your son zipping up his jacket. And all the shots of father & son in b/w are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love b/w pics~ It's that timeless feeling they give you! J is so cute!! Love how he just kicks it on the couch! and toes ... why are kids toes so friggin cute~

    So I'm not much of a photog, I just point and click, but your pics are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember a simpler time when we had to choose whether or not to buy black and white film over color film. Even though it was more expensive to buy, I loved taking photos in b&w. There is a romantic quality to them, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your son is adorable Lisa :) look at those little feet! I like to take my black and white photos through the camera using the Monochrome settings. But these are great tips, I never really thought of lighting but yes it does make a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are really nice! Very clean and crisp, and of course what a little sweetie you have for a model! ;) Is he getting a lesson on smart phone use?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do like black and white photos. What great shots! I can't tell you enough how cute J is!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much for passing on your findings, I am learning from you :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm definitely a fan of b/w photos but have never been able to convert one successfully. Haven't tried lately but feel inspired from this post to try my new software. Love the daddy / son photos and the shoe photo (too precious, I'm pinning this one)!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i love bw photos!!! I havent convert too many of Kaylee's photos in BW but need to so we can hang it up.

    Hope you have a great weekend, we'll be in DC so maybe we'll bump into you ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment (or two). If your email address is available on your Blogger profile or blog, then we'll respond that way. If not, we'll respond right here in the comments, so be sure to subscribe to comments :).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...