Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Day 18: How I didn't teach him to talk

Remember my OCD about tummy time and other milestones? Well, here's another one: talking to my infant (now toddler).

The screaming phase

Don't know if you remember reading this too, but almost as soon as a baby's born, you're supposed to encouraged to narrate the world to them. So I was a good student, and every morning I'd take J downstairs, read to him out of a book, and then walk around the first floor narrating the things I saw.
We're in the kitchen now. Oh, isn't it a beautiful day? What are you thinking? Did you have a good night? Good, because I'm really tired!

And when we went outside with Coco for her walk, same thing.
Isn't it a beautiful day? Do you see the trees? They are green. The sky is blue. Do you hear the cars? I have to bend down and pick up Coco's poo. Let's go home now.

First off, was encouraging me to narrate the world to J really just therapy for me? Seems like it, huh?

Second, the only words he knew before 16 months were Mama, Mum Mum, and Baba. No matter how much I narrated. 16 months of silence! Maybe the bilingual thing slowed him down.

Nevertheless, he spoke when he was ready. And boy, is he ready now! From 3 words all the way to 25 (on last count). His favorite is NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. We really have to stop asking yes or no questions!


Show some love. Leave a comment below
and/or share this post using buttons below.

4 comments:

  1. What a fun stage, when they're first learning to talk. I remember waiting forever & ever for them to say the word "Mama"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really cute. Everything they say is cute! Love the baby voice too!

      Delete
  2. My grandson just turned two and NOOOOOOO is his favorite word as well. They are very fun at this age. Committed but fun.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment (or two). If your email address is available on your Blogger profile or blog, then we'll respond that way. If not, we'll respond right here in the comments, so be sure to subscribe to comments :).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...