Thursday, April 26, 2012

HUGE box

I ordered this laundry drying rack from Amazon (great rack, I might add -- sturdy and allows several sweaters and other delicates to hang at an angle. Here's a 2-rack version). Anyways, it came in this HUGE box. I was like "what did I order?" We order so much stuff from Amazon, it can be hard to keep track! Anyone else know the feeling?

Our 20-mo son (J) fell instantly in love with the HUGE cardboard Amazon box. He walked on top of it, he rolled his trains and cars over it, and then he mowed it.

His matter-of-fact expression below makes him look so grown-up! P.S. The low f-stop of 2.5 makes the background blurry, which is great to mask the clutter that ever exists!

Mowing the living room
Canon T1i | Manual | 50mm | ISO 100 | f/2.5 | 1/200 sec | SpeedLite 380EX

I see with my little eye...

I see with my little eye...
Canon T1i | Manual | 50mm | ISO 100 | f/2.5 | 1/200 sec | SpeedLite 380EX

I love watching him play. The photo below was taken in the same timeframe as the ones above, but the one below was taken in the kitchen. More sunlight gets in the kitchen, so I turned the flash off and increased the ISO. Without the flash, soft shadows are captured to create depth in the photo.

Untitled
Canon T1i | Manual | 50mm | ISO 400 | f/2.5 | 1/200 sec

Speaking of cardboard, check out what this Japanese mom made out of cardboard. And then this blogger is like the queen of cardboard.

Anyways, after a week, J didn't seem that interested in the box anymore, which was fine because it was also recycling day :).

Do you make stuff with cardboard?
What non-toy do your children love? 

Products mentioned, any purchase results in a small commission for me
(may not appear in RSS readers):

Show some love. Leave a comment below and I'll definitely respond!
-----------------------
Follow this blog!
RSS | Facebook | Twitter | Email | Bloglovin'
-----------------------
Originally posted at expandng.com - HUGE box

13 comments:

  1. everything becomes toys for my kids. they love boxes, even now, but you're right, they lose interest after a day or two... then time passes, and when i get another pkg in the mail, they play with it again. it's a cycle... i tried to save it in the past, but it the garage became cluttered after a while so i got rid of them all. but after i got rid of it, my son asked me where the boxes were so that he can make a fort, lol! alex loves ribbons, she still loves wrappers... playing with my makeup. alex is always interested in pretty things, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. k loves her cardboard box. funny enough, it was also from a product ordered from amazon and they used a ridiculously oversized box 15 times the size of the actual product.

    she spread out a flat sheet (pink, of course) on the inside and it's her "barn". she's into animals these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I swear, kids are so cheap to entertain. It's us parents that make it expensive by insisting on buying expensive (and sometimes unnecessary) toys! ha.

    I'm not a cardboard queen, but one of the guys at work does some big cardboard contest every winter with his son. It's to see who can make the biggest, best sled out of cardboard. They then have this huge competition - and in order to win, your sled has to make it down a designated hill 3 times. The kids (and parents!) really get into it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My daughter loves everything that's not a toy. LOL! When we were getting ready to move, we had piles of boxes. She loved them.

    I'm so glad you decided to put your 2 blogs together. I love learning about your photography tricks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty good, a whole week with the cardboard box :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Boxes are the best toys ever. My kids love the cardboard rolls from paper towels. They use them as "swords". I love imaginative play! He is such a cutie!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think boxes can keep a child entertained more than the actual toy. I remember sitting in big boxes and pretending it's a race car or space ship. Those where the best toys that I can remember. I miss those days.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are constantly getting stuff in the mail from Amazon and I'm always wondering what it is this time even though we have prime so it's usually only been a couple of days since I ordered whatever it is. It's kind of pathetic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know EXACTLY what you mean when you see a box on your front step and you're like... Hmm, what did I order now? Which order is this one? Hahahaha. I LOVE amazon!!!! I need to figure out a drying rack. Thanks for the reco.

    B likes boxes too!!!!

    Cute pics :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. We order so much from Amazon (they make it too easy!). I'm starting to think half my paycheck goes to them each month! Great idea to re-use the cardboard. C and I have been making forts with large cardboard boxes, pillows, and blankets. Not particularly original of me, but C seems to like it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Isn't it funny what they like and don't like. I usually find it's the box that keeps her happy and not the expensive thing inside!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh he is so sweet! And a blurred background always does wonders for a house with a kid!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment (or two). If your email address is available on your Blogger profile or blog, then we'll respond that way. If not, we'll respond right here in the comments, so be sure to subscribe to comments :).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...