Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Non-fishy salmon cakes

I love salmon sashimi. Love. It. I literally cried when I allowed my family to eat sashimi in front of me while I was pregnant. Literally. Cried. Oddly enough, I don't liked cooked salmon. I think it's fishy. But since it's a good source of omega-3s, I cooked it a few weeks ago. We ate two pan-fried steaks that week, and I froze the other two (already pan-fried) for later.


Looking for a quick and easy dinner, I thawed the ready-to-eat salmon steaks and googled "america's test kitchen salmon cakes" because I love America's Test Kitchen recipes. The first recipe link was from a blogger, Robyn Cooks.

[Source: Robyn Cooks Salmon Cakes with Cheesy Leeks]

I followed the recipe loosely.
Cooked salmon (2 large steaks) -- I didn't use the "gray" meat or skin
Mayo
Breadcrumbs
Ginger
Scallions (since I didn't have an onion) -- used only the green part
Lemon (for juice and for serving)

  1. I broke the cooked salmon steaks into pieces using a fork.
  2. I chopped up the scallions (green part) and threw them in a bowl with the salmon.
  3. I added mayo and breadcrumbs until I thought I got the right consistency.
  4. I added lots of ginger and a few squeezes of lemon. To be rid of the fishy taste, you know.
  5. Since the fish was already cooked, I only had to heat/brown them in a frying pan -- 15 min total and dinner was served (with more lemon wedges!).

Salmon cakes
Copyright Lisa Ng

I love ginger, so I thought they were great. And with the touch of lemon in the cakes, they were a bit sweet. Totally would make these again. Next time, I might try adding sauteed onions or something else for crunch.

Any suggestions for adding crunch to this recipe?
Other non-fishy recipes you like?

P.S. I accidentally bought haddock instead of halibut, and LOVED IT. It's a pretty hardy fish and held up well in the oven. YUM.



Show some love. Leave a comment below and I'll definitely respond! 
----------------------- 
Follow this blog!
RSS | Facebook | Twitter | Email | Bloglovin'
----------------------- 
 Originally posted at expandng.com - Non-fishy salmon cakes  

Be the first to leave a comment

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment (or two). If your email address is available on your Blogger profile or blog, then we'll respond that way. If not, we'll respond right here in the comments, so be sure to subscribe to comments :).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...