Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Camera backpack for moms who carry around baby stuff too

Thanks to everyone who gave me advice on my blogs yesterday! Overwhelmingly, y'all supports my move to only one blog -- it'd streamline posting, some regular readers here didn't even know I had a photography blog, and it's my blog so why not! So in that spirit, I'll be posting here in the meantime...I am considering a new blog all together...Anyways...

Ever since Tania over at MauiShopGirl posted about cute camera bags that don't look like camera bags, I've been thinking about getting a new camera bag. P.S. I love THEIT bag she featured! And I just found SHUTTER|bag on Facebook - which is a large leather camera bag that looks very chic and functional.

Cute is cute, but Mommy needs something that serves more purpose than just a camera bag. Here's my gotta-have-it features:
  • Backpack: Messengers are too hard on these weak shoulders. And I wouldn't even think about carrying around a shoulder/tote for any length of time.
  • I had a trek to D.C. with my son in mind when getting a new camera bag, so this bag had to hold all of my son's things too.
  • Lightweight
  • Good fit
  • Not completely hideous ;)
I googled several variations of "camera backpack baby", "camera backpack mom", etc, and turned up only purse-like bags. So I just googled "camera backpack", and here's the ones I was considering:


The Tenba was too "Jansport" for me.
The Crumpler a bit too hipster.
The Kata won over the Lowepro because of the top compartment that was more rigid and could be used for J's snacks, and such.

02_lowevskata

I received the Kata, tried it on, and found the fit to be horrid. There was a gap between the back of the pack and my back. And the strap flipped up. I sought the advice of some photography club members -- they suggested I add a chest strap to make the straps fit better. But nothing was going to fix the boxiness of the Kata. And the black seemed so harsh. I was only 80% convinced on keeping it.

A few days later, I complained about my new backpack to my brother-in-law, who is a professional wedding photographer. Check out his beautiful work at A.E.Landes Photography! Anyways, he told me about Clik Elite ("an adventure photography pack company"). His adventurer-photographer friend has one and loves it when he's out mountain biking.

Hmmm…a backpack for a mountain biker must have good fit considering they are leaning forward all the time…


My B-I-L recommended the Compact Sport since I don't have a pro-body (full frame, battery pack, etc.) camera. If I got the ProBody Sport, my camera might have too much wiggle room.

As soon as the Clik Elite arrived, I tried it and immediately was in love. It was everything I wanted: lightweight, had compartments for my son's stuff, fit well, and wasn't completely ugly ;). YAY! Since I found no complete set of photos of the Clik Elite (my B-I-L says it's an obscure brand), here is my complete review of the Kata 3N1-11 and Clik Elite Compact Sport. Hope you'll see why I recommend the Clik Elite Compact Sport for the mommy/adventurer photographer who also needs to carry around baby's things. Being a mommy is certainly an adventure!

04_versus

As you can see from the photos below, the Clik Elite is a tad bigger than the Kata though the top compartment of the Kata is larger because it's boxy.

05_frontdim

Here's a comparison of the back -- straps, padding, and "ventilation".

Kata vs. Clik Elite

Here's a comparison with their protective covers on.

Kata vs. Clik Elite

Kata's protective cover folds into itself and is separate from the bag. Clik Elite's protective cover folds into itself and tucks away at the bottom of the bag.

Kata Clik Elite

There is elastic around the edge of the protective cover on both, which helps it fit snugly. However, the Clik Elite has a squeeze-tab at the top of the bag too, for extra snuggness.

Kata vs. Clik Elite Clik Elite

Both backpacks have waist support and belts because a backpack's weight should actually be supported by your hips, which are much stronger than your shoulders. You can see how short the Kata belt support is compared to the Clik Elite.

Kata vs. Clik Elite

The close-up below shows that the waist support and belt are not connected in the Kata. In contrast, they are integrated in the Clik Elite. The Clik Elite belt is also nicely tucked away into the support so you don't have really long tentacles.

07_belts

As I mentioned above, my photographer friends recommended a chest strap to help make the Kata fit better. Well, Clik Elite already thought of that and includes one that is height-adjustable!

Clik Elite

Since we're talking about fit, here's some (bad) photos of me modeling the two backs. Notice the straps in the Kata flipping up below. Note: The belt should hit at the hips, not at my waist like shown below. I was in a hurry to get these pictures taken! Also, the Kata can be worn as a left- or right-sling, or the straps can form a "x" across your chest.

Kata Clik Elite

Kata Clik Elite

Alright, now that we've compared the size and fit of the Kata vs. Clik Elite, let's see what's each bag can hold.

The "laptop" compartments are really for a tiny netbooks. My 10" netbook fit in the Kata (with battery removed), but not in the Clik Elite. However, J's diaper-changing pad did fit!

Kata Clik Elite

The reason my 10" netbook fit in the Kata is because the Kata has a zipped compartment for it. The Clik Elite only has an open pouch along the back that's supposed to easily hold a CamelBak.

Kata

Both bags have a place for a tripod. You can buy an attachment for the Kata, which hangs on the D-ring. The Kata has a side pocket and attached cord to hold the tripod in place. I used the side pocket for a Kleen Kanteen instead!

Kata Clik Elite

The Kata has two small zippered pockets on the sides (towards top). The Clik Elite has a zippered pocket on the front and a stretchy pocket with attached cord.

Kata

Clik Elite Clik Elite

The Kata has a rigid top compartment for my son's snacks and such. In contrast, the top compartment in the Clik Elite is rather squishy.

Kata Clik Elite

The top compartment and camera compartment of each bag is separated by zippered flap. So one day when either (1) you aren't carrying around your baby's things or (2) aren't taking pictures anymore, this can be unzipped to form one large interior.

Both camera compartments are rigid (important to keep that camera safe!). Both camera compartments have Velcro for customizable dividers. Kata has yellow interior, and Clik Elite has gray interior.

Kata Clik Elite

However, the Kata has strips of Velcro, and the entire compartment in the Clik Elite is lined with Velcro.

Kata Clik Elite

Here are the included Kata dividers, protective cover (larger pouch), and memory card holder (smaller pouch). The longish thing is the divider that can be placed inside the netbook compartment.

Kata

There are far fewer dividers included with the Clik Elite. Its camera compartment may be wider than the Kata, but it is not as deep (5" vs. 8") or as high (9" vs 11").

Clik Elite

The memory card holder in the Clik Elite is integrated into the camera compartment.

Clik Elite

Both backs allow for right-handed quick draw, meaning you only need to drop a shoulder strap, unzip the camera compartment from the side, and grab your camera. Only the Kata allows left-handed quick-draw as well.

So here's what I put where:
  • Canon T1i, SpeedLite 380EX in camera compartment (not shown)
  • Diaper-changing pad, wipes, and diapers in netbook compartment
  • My wallet/change purse, keys, and napkins/antibac wipes/etc in small zippered compartment
  • Formula-turned-snack container, straw cup (9oz), small straw cup, and baggie with plastic spoon and craft scissors used exclusively for cutting food into the squishy top compartment.

08_contents

So there you have it, my complete review of the Kata 3N1-11 and Clik Elite Compact Sport. Hope you see why I recommend the Clik Elite Compact Sport for the mommy/adventurer photographer. Below are links to both bags on Amazon.


P.S. Items purchased using links to products on Amazon result in a commission :)
P.P.S. I carried around the Clik Elite around at the mall and around D.C., and it was a great fit!

Got any camera bag recommendations?






Show some love. Leave a comment below and I'll definitely respond! 
----------------------- 
Follow this blog!
RSS | Facebook | Twitter | Email | Bloglovin'
----------------------- 
 Originally posted at expandng.com - Camera backpack for moms who carry around baby stuff too  

6 comments:

  1. great review! I never thought of a camera backpack before. I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. After having more than a few mediocre bags (Lowepro, Tenba, Tamrac, and a couple others), I am looking forward to giving this one a shot. Needing a bag for quick access, comfort, and decent looks - the Probody seems to fit the bill!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review and very helpful for when I go hiking and don't want to carry to bags.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was such a great post, I think you have a future as a product reviewer :-) i love your new backpack! I have always felt you need to "try on" a new bag, see how it looks without stuffing, with all your stuff in it and think out what you could put in it and where.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice breakdown of the different backpack options. I just got an Epiphanie Paris, which is a ginormous shoulder bag, and supposed to carry a 15" laptop, but the thing is incredibly heavy fully packed. But it looks professional. For my vacations and family time, I'd love to get a backpack, and now I'm coveting the Clik Elite.

    But aren't you worried those sippy cups might leak?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you get this response, since I couldn't find an email for you. I'm loving the Compact Sport. I wish it was just a tad bigger, but it sure is comfortable! More so than the messenger diaper bag we have...As for the leaky cups, the separate compartment for the camera keeps it safe as long as the leak isn't extreme. Also, I keep the bag upright so to prevent leaks. Twice carrying it with milk and juice, no leaks yet! Good luck finding a backpack or enjoying the Clik Elite!

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment (or two). If your email address is available on your Blogger profile or blog, then we'll respond that way. If not, we'll respond right here in the comments, so be sure to subscribe to comments :).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...