Thursday, February 3, 2011

Boarding an airplane

I selected seats toward the rear of the plane on my recent trip to Las Vegas thinking that I'd get to board first. My logic was that boarding passengers toward the rear of the plane first would lead to less "traffic jams" in the aisles. I also remember that on other flights I've been on, this was the boarding logic. Oh, but not US Airways 438 or 439! Passengers in the rear of plane were called last. I guess it wouldn't really matter as long as we were all in the same general area.

But on my way to Vegas, I got stuck in the aisle behind a guy who had a rolling carry-on plus some large photo tubes to stow. He spent some time moving other people's stuff around in the overhead compartments and then also took a spot I was eyeing above my seat for my carry-on.

And on my back to Philly, I didn't allow the entire family of 8 to cut in line ahead of me because they each had a carry-on and it would have been aggravating to wait behind them.

It was pretty interesting to watch this family board because the entire family stood in the aisle watching one member stow away all of the carry-ons. The attendant announced over the PA for "passengers" (He's talking to you! Too bad not all of you understand English.) to quickly take their seats in order to speed-up boarding.

Lesson: Have light carry-on and don't be the passenger that everyone watches while you board. Too bad I can only take my own advice for so long. One day, A & I will be traveling with J, and I can only imagine the challenges that will bring.

Be the first to leave a comment

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment (or two). If your email address is available on your Blogger profile or blog, then we'll respond that way. If not, we'll respond right here in the comments, so be sure to subscribe to comments :).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...