Monday, August 29, 2011

Career-mom vs. SAHM* vs. everything in between


*SAHM = stay at home mom

Career-mom vs. SAHM: My husband and I have had this conversation many times before and during my pregnancy with J. Would he support the family? Would we be comfortable on only one income? Back in Philly, we knew several families where the wife was a SAHM. A whole bunch of them have advanced degrees, so I'd be in good company.

Before J was born, I kinda already agreed to do a 1-year post-doc. So in some sense, I was going to be a career-mom, whether or not I really wanted to be a SAHM. I guess I could have decided during this post-doc that I wanted to be a SAHM, but that didn't happen.

My personality is more suited to being a career-mom. I need the clear distinction between work and home. I like my work. I feel more secure in a two-income home. Of course I miss J, but I know that he'll be in capable hands (more on selecting childcare in my next post).

Maybe in the future I'd consider being a SAHM, but I'd have to take this advice from an issue of Parents magazine: try to live on one income for six months. You'll do two things: (1) prove to yourselves that you can do it, and (2) have a six month emergency fund already set up!. Here are a few tips from Parents.com to live on one income.

Here are blog posts from a career-mom, SAHM, and work-from-home mom. Even one on SAHD (stay at home dad). The language may not be appropriate for all audiences.

Be the first to leave a comment

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment (or two). If your email address is available on your Blogger profile or blog, then we'll respond that way. If not, we'll respond right here in the comments, so be sure to subscribe to comments :).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...