Sunday, January 30, 2011

Babysitter

Recently I asked A what he would like to do for Valentine's Day. He replied that since J goes to bed around the same time nowadays and pretty much sleeps until at least 1:30 am, we should get a babysitter and go out to dinner.

My immediate reaction was "BABYSITTER?! ARE YOU CRAZY?!".

Just the thought of leaving J with a total stranger, even though J's sleeping and the babysitter probably wouldn't have to do anything, makes me nervous. The word "babysitter" brings to mind an immature, irresponsible teenager whose only experience with an infant is helping her mom take care of her baby brother and even then was only interested in the fun parts. I know this is wrong for many reasons: (1 ) not all teenagers are immature or irresponsible. I'm sure there are many capable of caring for an infant, and (2) not all babysitters are teenagers. I haven't done the research, but I'm sure there are adults looking to make a few extra dollars. They just probably charge more than your neighborhood teenager.

I know I'll have to eventually entrust Jacob to a babysitter because A and I can't not have a date night until J's a teenager and can be home alone. So what to do about Valentine's Day this year since I'm not ready to find a sitter?

Be the first to leave a comment

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment (or two). If your email address is available on your Blogger profile or blog, then we'll respond that way. If not, we'll respond right here in the comments, so be sure to subscribe to comments :).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...