Friday, March 16, 2012

From sports car to practical car

The hubby's first car was an Acura RSX (they don't make them anymore?). It was a sweet ride with pimped-out spoiler, nice rims, body kit, and other JDI (Japanese Domestic Import) parts. I have to admit that the first time he picked me up, I said to myself "Nice car". I totally didn't think I was one of those girls. Oh, and it was a manual transmission, which is beyond cool in my book.

"Why does it have a Honda emblem if it's an Acura?" asked the policeman.
"Because Acuras are Hondas in Japan," replied my husband.
"You shouldn't change your emblems because it makes the car seem stolen."
"Duly noted, officer."

Fast forward two years from that initial meeting >> We're married and share the car. I'm bad luck with cars, let me tell you, because since we've been married, the poor car has…
  • Run over a cat/possum/unidentified animal, thus destroying the body kit.
  • Run over a tire/box/unidentified large object on the highway, thus needing new tires.
  • Needed its beautiful tint removed to pass state inspection. I was the reason we moved to a new state.
  • No lock on the hatchback.
  • An emissions light that comes and goes. Will it, or will not, pass the next emissions inspection?


Long story short, the car was becoming something we just threw money at. Since gas prices are supposed to skyrocket this summer (?), the hubby said instead of buying the minivan (18/27 city/highway MPG), we should get a sedan to replace the RSX. We already drive an SUV, so why have two gas guzzlers? Plus, it's a pain to get an infant car seat in and out of a coupe (not that we need to anymore, but you know, for the future…). And hard to get passengers out too! The sporty bucket seating wasn't so cool when I was pregnant. I need more than a little help out of the car.

When commercials for the Prius V started popping up, I was so excited. For the longest time I've wanted a Prius (um, hello, 51/48 MPG). My sister drives one, and I do so love the line I'm in electric mode, can't even hear the engine in the Whole Foods Parking Lot video. Another favorite line is pay my 80 bucks for 6 things and get the heck out. The hubby agreed on the Prius idea but wondered if we should buy the standard Prius instead. For $2,400 more, the Prius V gives you:
  • 67.3 cu. ft. of cargo space behind the 1st row
    • Compare this to the Mazda CX9 at 48.3 cu. ft. and Honda Pilot at 47.7 cu. ft.
    • Of course this doesn't compare with the room behind the 2nd row of the Honda Odyssey, but...
  • The Prius V has 34.3 cu. ft. behind the backseat and the Odyssey has 38.4 cu. ft. behind the 2nd row.

Not bad at all. Of course, with the increase in cargo room, you have to give up some on gas mileage. It drops to 44/40 MPG. Still great, but is it worth the extra $2K and more cargo room?

Dun dun dun. Vehicle decision buying matrix to the rescue!

Turns out, the extra cargo, extra cost, and reduced mileage are not worth it, according to my priorities anyways! Just goes to show, I shouldn't be oooh and aaahed by flashy commercials!

Prius 3rd Generation wins by 2.5 points!
 Comparisons made with base models and MSRPs on Toyota.com.

So there you go, from sports car to practical car. I'm sure going to miss driving a manual though!


What was the "sports car" in your life 
before marriage and/or kids?
What is your "practical car" now?

Have a great weekend!




Show some love. Leave a comment below and I'll definitely respond! 
----------------------- 
Follow this blog!
RSS | Facebook | Twitter | Email | Bloglovin'
----------------------- 
 Originally posted at expandng.com  

1 comment:

  1. Before my firstborn child, my husband had his share of the machismo, sports-car syndrome of most men out there. He was driving a subaru wrx impreza. When Peter was born(eldest child), he had to give it up because of the financial constraints on maintaining it.
    ca dmv registration

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment (or two). If your email address is available on your Blogger profile or blog, then we'll respond that way. If not, we'll respond right here in the comments, so be sure to subscribe to comments :).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...