Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Soon to be invincible again

Here's a test to see if your kids are too sick for school or daycare that I found while searching for this image.

I have a strain of I-live-with-a-two-year-old-it is coined by Mommy Shorts. It's called I-have-an-18-month-old-in-his-first-year-of-daycare-itis because before he started daycare, I never got sick. This is also why I haven't posted anything since Friday.


I remember two times as a child that I was sick. Once when I had chicken pox over Thanksgiving break, and the other time when I had the flu, probably over a holiday break too. As an adult, I only ever got sick from food poisoning. Somehow, I was able to stave off colds, flu, and whatever bug "was going around" at the moment. I'll attribute my good immune system to my mom and dad. Sidenote: It would have been my dad's 97th birthday tomorrow so you can see why I attribute my good health to him. More about him in a dedicated post tomorrow!

Anyways, ever since our 18-month-old started daycare a mere 4 months ago, he's gotten ear infections, sinus infections, viral exanthem, high fevers, stomach virus, and recently a sinus-ear-infection with eye-discharge combo that luckily wasn't conjunctivitis (or pink eye). Grandmas and Grandpa are reading this paragraph while cringing and planning ways to convince us to take him out of daycare for a few months.

Over the last 4 months, I have also been the recipient of the stomach virus and a few colds. I am often in denial about being sick since I didn't grow up being sick. But you can't deny the nausea, sneezing, cough, and mucus. You just can't.

I don't solely blame the kids at daycare either. I blame the unpredictable weather. I blame a lack of exercise...and central heating and air conditioning. Yea, you read that right. The overuse of central heating and air conditioning systems has reduced our ability to adjust to changes in weather. Instead of being connected to the outside and realizing it's getting warmer or colder, and allowing our bodies (and clothing) to slowly adjust, our bodies are shocked when we leave our homes, offices, daycares, and schools. We aren't prepared and our bodies are working overtime to quickly adjust for survival. If it repeats that cycle enough, maybe like a lithium battery, we reach our maximum number of charge cycles and our immune systems suffer. Just a theory of course.

Anyways, back to my claim about being invincible again. Countless people have told me that the first year of daycare is the hardest because your kid is being exposed to new germs. Guess I'm also being exposed. Well, we can't wait for the first year to be over (or at least for spring to roll around) because I am sick of him and me being sick!


 
Show some love. Leave a comment below
and/or share this post.
-----------------------
Follow this blog!

RSS | Facebook | Twitter | Email | Bloglovin'

3 comments:

  1. I could've written this post myself. Used to brag about how healthy I was. Have been fighting off some form of a cold since Christmas. And I also had a stomach virus and at least one other cold thanks to daycare germs as well as all the things you rattled off. Cannot wait for summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a firm believer in Airborne, having had three kids in daycare for quite a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE airborne!! I should start taking 1 everyday ;)

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment (or two). If your email address is available on your Blogger profile or blog, then we'll respond that way. If not, we'll respond right here in the comments, so be sure to subscribe to comments :).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...