Friday, September 16, 2011

How walkable is your community?

I attended a workshop at work yesterday, Strategies to get to Net Zero Energy Homes.

Side note: There are many meanings of "net zero" but they point to energy use or emissions. Basically, what you use or expend should be equal to what you produce. As we look to buying a home in the next few years, I hope that we can find a high-efficiency home, reduce our energy use, and pay lower utility bills every month. More on that when we start seriously looking.

WalkScore.com was mentioned - how walkable is your community? Washington, D.C. got a score of 88 (very walkable). My neighborhood got a score of 48 (car-dependent). I'm not surprised and honestly, it's 


not a point of consideration for me when looking for a home. I know, it's so not green. Tsk tsk on me.



The top 10 walkable cities, according to the site, are:
  • NYC
  • San Fran
  • Boston
  • Chicago
  • Philly (holla!)
  • Seattle
  • D.C. (not sure I agree that Philly is more walkable than D.C. I think D.C. has better transportation system than Philly, but I could be wrong.)
  • Miami
  • Minneapolis
  • Oakland
Is your city walkable? 
Is your community walkable? 
Does it matter to you? 

Be the first to leave a comment

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment (or two). If your email address is available on your Blogger profile or blog, then we'll respond that way. If not, we'll respond right here in the comments, so be sure to subscribe to comments :).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...