Saturday, September 10, 2011

Speaking of photography - aperture, shutter speed, ISO

Did you know that from one f-stop (or aperture) to the next either halves or doubles the size of the opening in the lens (and thus the amount of light getting through)? Did you know that from one shutter speed to the next also either halves or doubles the amount of light. So that if you increase one and decrease the other, you let in the same amount of light? I learned that here.

So, f/1.4 lets in more light than f/2.8. And a shutter speed of 1/30 lets in more light than 1/60.

Ever heard of "depth of field" (DOF). I had no idea what "shallow depth of field" meant until I read this. So the depth of field is the amount of your shot in focus. For shallow depth of field, only a small (or shallow) portion is in focus. Oh! I love images with shallow DOF!

What about ISO? I've never really played around with ISO. I know that indoors I used ISO400 a lot with my point-and-shoot so that I wouldn't get blurry images...but they sure were grainy. Now that I have a DSLR, do I do things differently? According to the article, increasing the ISO would allow me to increase my shutter speed and my aperture (i.e., let in less light through lens but still get good exposure - I think).

No photos to post lately. Been too tired after work, dinner, and cleaning-up to much else than veg on the couch...

Be the first to leave a comment

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment (or two). If your email address is available on your Blogger profile or blog, then we'll respond that way. If not, we'll respond right here in the comments, so be sure to subscribe to comments :).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...