Friday, July 8, 2011

Chicken pot pie


One of A's favorite meals is chicken pot pie. He usually makes his version using store-bought crust, but I find the crust too buttery for my taste (not that my recipe is any less fatty). The first time I made chicken pot pie (not the picture shown above), I used a recipe from Bisquick. Just mix together mixed vegetables, chicken, cream of chicken, and salt/pepper/etc. The crust was supposed to be made using Bisquick mix + egg + milk. Guess what? I had no Bisquick and no egg in the fridge. I googled Bisquick substitutes (no, I couldn't use pancake mix because it doesn't have fat/crisco in it). It consisted of flour, baking powder, and oil. I may have added salt and sugar too. The egg substitute consisted of water, oil, and baking powder.

Result: Crust was flaky but I overdid it on the baking powder.

Second time around, I bought some Bisquick, Heart Smart version. Result (shown above): It was less crusty and more pancake/biscuit-like, which is to be expected since that is the Bisquick product. I poured a thin layer of batter into the ramekin and baked it for 15 min while preparing the chicken mixture. I then poured the chicken mixture in and topped it with a layer of batter. I found that only a thin layer of batter is necessary, otherwise you get a huge biscuit atop your chicken mixture.

I think next time I'll use the Bisquick substitute but use a real egg.


1 comment:

  1. I never thought about making my own chicken pot pie. My kids would love it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment (or two). If your email address is available on your Blogger profile or blog, then we'll respond that way. If not, we'll respond right here in the comments, so be sure to subscribe to comments :).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...