Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Burned for flan

Flan -- because I love egg tarts, I also love flan. Some people say making it from scratch isn't that hard, but that's not my way. JELL-O makes an instant flan that comes with caramel sauce.


But this time I decided to try the Goya variety. Unfortunately, you have to make your own caramel. You do this by heating sugar very slowly to 340 degrees F. You know what happened? I poured the caramel into ramekins. As I was coating the bottom of them, a drop of caramel fell on the side of my pinkie. IT HURT! I silly-ly tried to shake it off. But then I got my brain back and ran it under cold water. I have a blister now. It's mini Rob & Big (for you TCCGPers out there).
I don't know why, but my caramel set almost instantly. It turned into thick layer of sugar candy in the bottom of the ramekins! Luckily, as I poured hot flan liquid into the ramekins, some of the caramel melted. They were yummy but not worth the burn and blister. I'll be using the JELL-O brand next time!

You like flan? 
You make yours from scratch or use an "instant" variety?

Be the first to leave a comment

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment (or two). If your email address is available on your Blogger profile or blog, then we'll respond that way. If not, we'll respond right here in the comments, so be sure to subscribe to comments :).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...